How To Get Started
How To Get Started
Jacob's Ladder's placement options at a glance...
- Full time school placement with individualized attention
- Full time school placement with small group instruction
- Summer Programming Options
- Therapy Center on an hourly basis
- In-Home Program Implementation
- Home schooling Academic Program Design and Support
Step 1: Everyone begins here...
Our process begins with a Neurodevelopmental Evaluation and individual program design. Each family receives full training on all program aspects. We offer a holistic approach by providing a unique collection of programs and therapeutic services that support each child and their individual needs.
- Neurodevelopmental Evaluation (Phase 1): The client will complete a variety of assessments to determine functional levels on Neurodevelopmental aspects including Tactility, Auditory, Visual, Fine Motor, Speech and Language, as well as Gross Motor/Mobility. Data will be collected on physiological concerns and the appropriate referral will be made. Information on emotional/behavioral issues will also be gathered and general behavioral guidelines will be recommended. Academic testing will be completed to determine baseline scores for pre-academic skills, word decoding, reading comprehension, math, and sequential processing scores. Findings are a combination of functional levels and academic scores.
- Individualized Program Design (Phase 2): Based on the findings from the initial evaluation, a custom program is designed, offering the most effective optimization of the individual's strengths while addressing any weaknesses.
- Parent Training/Family Monthly Support (Phase 3): This service includes an in- depth discussion of evaluation findings and complete program training. Any family member may attend the training. Three months of support calls are included with this training.
Many families choose Jacob's Ladder as a full time school placement. We are an SAIS-SACS Accredited, SB-10 approved school, serving students Pre-K through grade 12. Others utilize our Therapy Center Services on an hourly basis. Each of these options allow for a customized experience drawing from our many unique services creating the optimum experience for our students and clients.
Step 2: Now choose your placement...A, B, C or D
A. Full Time School Placement Options:
- School placement delivering a custom program taught in a one-on-one setting. SB- 10 approved. (Program design is reflective of the findings of the Neurodevelopmental Evaluation)
- Option A: 9:00a.m. -1:00p.m.
- Option B: 9:00a.m. -3:00p.m.
- Option C: 1:00p.m. -5:00p.m.
- Our Transition Groups can be incorporated into the full time school day as an adjunct, serving to provide the first step towards acclimating the child to the small group experience.
- Transition Group 1 is a small group instruction supporting a 2:1 ratio. Academic activities range from outdoor explorations to artwork, music and movement all of which develop fine motor, gross motor, tactility, language and peer interaction, preparing for transition into T2.
- Transition Group 2 is a small group classroom instruction five days a week for a short morning session. This group is taught by one lead teacher, with additional support provided as needed. Academic activities are designed to encourage desired classroom behaviors, increase peer interaction, develop social skills, build relationships and create independence within the child's daily routine. The emphasis is placed on working within a group, preparing the student for the shift into The Jacob's Ladder School.
- The Jacob's Ladder School utilizing small group instruction:
- Elementary, Middle and High School 9:00a.m. - 2:30p.m.The Jacob's Ladder School serves up to 8 students at a 3:1 ratio, with additional support as needed. This school is the next step for students graduating from the one on one setting. It is designed to teach students in our typical classroom environment. All core subjects will be covered while incorporating the Jacob's Ladder philosophy and methodology.
- JL's Summer Program consists of full or part time summer program implementation provided as a continuation of our 1:1 neurodevelopmental program. Experiential Learning groups are an option for our summer students as well.
B. Therapy Center Hourly Program Intervention:
- Based on the findings from the initial evaluation, an individualized custom program is designed, offering the most effective optimization of the individual's strengths while addressing any weaknesses. The program can then be implemented on an hourly basis by a Jacob's Ladder therapist utilizing an individualized one-to-one ratio. Most insurance companies accepted.
- The following services can be incorporated into the daily school program or accessed individually through the therapy center:
- Behavioral Services
- Cognitive Behavior Therapy
- Music Therapy
- Therapeutic Yoga
- Recreation Therapy
- Brain Mapping
- Sound Therapy Programs
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Chamber Therapy
- Individual Counseling
- Academic Tutoring
(To read more about these services, visit our Therapy Center section)
C. In - Home Program Implementation
- Based on the findings from the initial evaluation, an individualized custom Neurodevelopmental Program is designed, offering the most effective optimization of the individual's strengths while addressing any weaknesses.
- Program implementation is provided in the comfort of the child's home on an hourly basis by a Jacob's Ladder teacher or therapist.
D. Home Schooling Option
- Based on the findings from the initial evaluation, a custom academic program is designed, addressing all core academic areas in conjunction with daily Neurodevelopmental interventions that specifically address learning challenges.
- The Program is implemented by the parent with the training and support of the Jacob's Ladder staff.